Sunday, February 21, 2010

Radical free shit...

I've been listening to three records lately and all of them are 100% free on the internet. But aren't all records free on the internets Ian? Yes and no. These are actually legitimately free, unleashed as it were, on purpose.

#1
First up is the latest New Weird Australia compilation. As the name suggests, these dudes put together digital comps of weird shit from around the country. The latest installment is a cracker. There's Scissor Lock's Fennesz styled hazy stuff (we played with Marcus in Sydney last time, good guy), the 'midi-evil disco' of Tantrums and an epic drone pad by Automating. I love it. And look at the artwork by Anna Vo:



Sweet jesus. Most records don't look that good when people actually make them and ask y'all to buy them.

#2
Don't fuck with this record, it's radical. I've never seen The Encircling Sea (they're from Melbourne) and I can't even really remember why I downloaded this but I did and it delivers. One long MP3, split into two movements - this takes some work but I've been going back to it. What does it sound like? Creamy soundscapes with crushing slow doomed out parts? Hey! I've got an idea, why don't you download it yourself and make up your own mind.

Also looks nice:



#3
The last Grey Daturas show in Brisbane was recorded by Brendan over at Turn It Up! It sounds really good for a bootleg, especially the drums. And I thought the set was all killer on the night, so this is A+ for me. You can find it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zqhqzwrttn0


No comments: